This is a brief list of all the files in ./linux/Documentation and what
they contain. If you add a documentation file, please list it here in
alphabetical order as well, or risk being hunted down like a rabid dog.
Please keep the descriptions small enough to fit on one line.
Thanks -- Paul G.
Following translations are available on the WWW:
- Japanese, maintained by the JF Project (email@example.com), at
- this file.
- info on kernel <-> userspace ABI and relative interface stability.
- brute force method of doing binary search of patches to find bug.
- list of changes that break older software packages.
- how the maintainers expect the C code in the kernel to look.
- DMA API, pci_ API & extensions for non-consistent memory machines.
- Dynamic DMA mapping Guide
- How to do DMA with ISA (and LPC) devices.
- listing of the various possible attributes a DMA region can have
- directory with DocBook templates etc. for kernel documentation.
- directory with info on customizing EDID for broken gfx/displays.
- the process and procedures of how to do Linux kernel development.
- info on Linux Intelligent Platform Management Interface (IPMI) Driver.
- how to select which CPU(s) handle which interrupt events on SMP.
- info on inerrupt numbering and setting up IRQ domains.
- description of what an IRQ is.
- basic info on the Intel IOMMU virtualization support.
- some files in Documentation dir are actually sample code to build
- how to (attempt to) manage kernel hackers.
- directory with info on RCU (read-copy update).
- info on Secure Attention Keys.
- Silicon Motion SM501 multimedia companion chip
- procedure for reporting security bugs found in the kernel.
- Linux kernel patch submission checklist.
- procedure to get a new driver source included into the kernel tree.
- procedure to get a source patch included into the kernel tree.
- how to change your VGA cursor from a blinking underscore.
- documentation on accounting and taskstats.
- info on ACPI-specific hooks in the kernel.
- description of AoE (ATA over Ethernet) along with config examples.
- description of various trees and how to apply their patches.
- directory with info about Linux on the ARM architecture.
- directory with info about Linux on the 64 bit ARM architecture.
- semantics and behavior of atomic and bitmask operations.
- misc. LCD driver documentation (cfag12864b, ks0108).
- directory with info on controlling backlights in flat panel displays
- how to use kernel parameters to exclude bad RAM regions.
- basic instructions for those who wants to profile Linux kernel.
- info on the kernel support for extra binary formats.
- directory with documentation for the Blackfin arch.
- info on the Block I/O (BIO) layer.
- info on block devices & drivers
- info on how to use serial devices for Braille support.
- info on how to modify a bt8xx video card for GPIO usage.
- info on Marvell Bluetooth driver usage.
- directory with info on TI GPMC (General Purpose Memory Controller)
- how to access I/O mapped memory from within device drivers.
- describes the cache/TLB flushing interfaces Linux uses.
- directory with information on the CD-ROM drivers that Linux has.
- cgroups features, including cpusets and memory controller.
- how to make use of the existing circular buffer infrastructure
- info on the common clock framework
- info on how to get and use the Coccinelle code checking tool.
- docs on the netlink based userspace<->kernel space communication mod.
- documentation on Linux console drivers.
- info on CPU frequency and voltage scaling.
- document describing CPU hotplug support in the Linux kernel.
- document describing how CPU load statistics are collected.
- info on CPU_IDLE, CPU idle state management subsystem.
- documentation on how CPU topology info is exported via sysfs.
- brief tutorial on CRC computation
- directory with info about Linux on CRIS architecture.
- directory with info on the Crypto API.
- information on the Dell Systems Management Base Driver.
- some notes on debugging modules after Linux 2.6.3.
- how to use firewire like a hardware debugger memory reader.
- document demonstrating the use of the Dell Remote BIOS Update driver.
- how to work with the mainline kernel development process.
- directory with info on Device Mapper.
- plain ASCII listing of all the nodes in /dev/ with major minor #'s.
- directory with info on device tree files used by OF/PowerPC/ARM
-info on the Digital Signature Verification API
- the DMA Buffer Sharing API Guide
-the DMA Engine API Guide
- file containing a list of files that should never be diff'ed.
- directory with info about Linux driver model.
- info on Linux Digital Video Broadcast (DVB) subsystem.
- how to use the dynamic debug (dyndbg) feature.
- info about initramfs, klibc, and userspace early during boot.
- information on EDAC - Error Detection And Correction
- info on EISA bus support.
- info on how to use e-mail to send un-mangled (git) patches.
- directory with porting guide for Android kernel switch driver.
- dir with docs about the fault injection capabilities infrastructure.
- directory with info on the frame buffer graphics abstraction layer.
- info on the vfs and the various filesystems that Linux supports.
- request_firmware() hotplug interface info.
- how to make use of flexible sized arrays in linux
- Fujitsu FR-V Linux documentation.
- info on requeueing of tasks from a non-PI futex to a PI futex
- use of GCC's coverage testing tool "gcov" with the Linux kernel
- overview of GPIO (General Purpose Input/Output) access conventions.
- directory with information on human interface devices
- notes on the change from 16 bit to 32 bit user/group IDs.
- hardware spinlock provides hardware assistance for synchronization
- info on the timer related topics
- info on Linux support for random number generator in i8xx chipsets.
- directory with docs on various hardware monitoring drivers.
- directory with info about the I2C bus/protocol (2 wire, kHz speed).
- directory with info about the Linux I2O subsystem.
- directory with info about Linux on Intel 32 bit architecture.
- directory with info about Linux on Intel 64 bit architecture.
- directory with documents concerning Linux InfiniBand support.
- what to do when the kernel can't find the 1st process to run.
- how to use the RAM disk as an initial/temporary root filesystem.
- info on Linux input device support.
- info on intel Trusted Execution Technology (intel TXT).
- description of io_mapping functions in linux/io-mapping.h
- info on ordering I/O writes to memory-mapped addresses.
- directory with documents describing various IOCTL calls.
- info on I/O statistics Linux kernel provides.
- how to use the irq-flags tracing feature.
- info on Linux ISA Plug & Play support.
- directory with info on the Linux ISDN support, and supported cards.
- info on the in-kernel binary support for Java(tm).
- directory with Japanese translations of various documents
- directory with info about the kernel build process.
- directory with mini HowTo on getting the crash dump code to work.
- mini HowTo on generation and location of kernel documentation files.
- listing of various WWW + books that document kernel internals.
- summary listing of command line / boot prompt args for the kernel.
- info on dynamic checker that detects uses of uninitialized memory.
- info on how to make use of the kernel memory leak detection system
- directory with Korean translations of various documents
- info of the kobject infrastructure of the Linux kernel.
- documents the kernel probes debugging feature.
- docs on adding reference counters (krefs) to kernel objects.
- directory with laptop related info and laptop driver documentation.
- a brief description of LDM (Windows Dynamic Disks).
- directory with info about LED handling under Linux.
- semantics and behavior of local atomic operations.
- documentation on the runtime locking correctness validator.
- info on collecting statistics on locks (and contention).
- info on soft and hard lockup detectors (aka nmi_watchdog).
- full colour GIF image of Linux logo (penguin - Tux).
- info on creator of above logo & site to get additional images from.
- directory with info about Linux on Motorola 68k architecture.
- list of magic numbers used to mark/protect kernel data structures.
- info on boot arguments for the multiple devices driver.
- info on media framework, its data structures, functions and usage.
- info on Linux kernel memory barriers.
- directory with info on parts like the Texas Instruments EMIF driver
- Hotpluggable memory support, how to use and current status.
- info on typical Linux memory problems.
- directory with info about Linux on Meta architecture.
- directory with info about Linux on MIPS architecture.
- directory with info about devices using the misc dev subsystem
- directory with info about the MMC subsystem
- directory with info about the mn10300 architecture port
- directory with info about memory technology devices (flash)
- how to execute Mono-based .NET binaries with the help of BINFMT_MISC.
- info on the generic mutex subsystem.
- directory with various information about namespaces
- directory with information on the NetLabel subsystem.
- directory with info on various aspects of networking with Linux.
- directory relating info about Near Field Communications support.
- documentation about no-mmu memory mapping support.
- info on how to read Numa policy hit/miss statistics in sysfs.
- how to decode those nasty internal kernel error dump messages.
- An introduction to the "padata" parallel execution API
- directory with info on using Linux on PA-RISC architecture.
- how to use the parallel-port driver.
- description and usage of the low level parallel port functions.
- info on the Linux PCMCIA driver.
- RCU based read-write semaphore optimized for locking for reading
- documentation on lightweight priority inheritance futexes.
- info on pinctrl subsystem and the PINMUX/PINCONF and drivers
- Linux Plug and Play documentation.
- directory with info on Linux PCI power management.
- directory with info on using Linux with the PowerPC.
- directory with info on the priveledge control subsystem
- info on locking under a preemptive kernel.
- how to get printk format specifiers right
- directory with information on the pulse-per-second support
- directory with info on support for IEEE 1588 PTP clocks in Linux.
- info on the pulse width modulation driver subsystem
- documentation of the ramoops oops/panic logging module.
- directory with info on RapidIO packet-based fabric interconnect
- info on what red-black trees are and what they are for.
- info on how to handle remote processor (e.g. AMP) offloads/usage.
- info on the radio frequency kill switch subsystem/support.
- documentation of the robust futex ABI.
- a description of what robust futexes are.
- info on the Remote Processor Messaging (rpmsg) Framework
- description of the RealTime mutex implementation design.
- desc. of RT-mutex subsystem with PI (Priority Inheritance) support.
- notes on how to use the Real Time Clock (aka CMOS clock) driver.
- directory with info on using Linux on the IBM S390.
- directory with info on the scheduler.
- directory with info on Linux scsi support.
- directory that contains security-related info
- directory with info on the low level serial API.
- how to set up Linux with a serial line console as the default.
- description of the SGI IOC4 PCI (multi function) device.
- short blurb on the SGI Visual Workstations.
- directory with info on porting Linux to a new architecture.
-info on the smsc Keyboard Scan Expansion/GPIO Expansion device.
- directory with info on sound card support.
- info on how to obtain and use the sparse tool for typechecking.
- overview of Linux kernel Serial Peripheral Interface (SPI) support.
- info on using spinlocks to provide exclusive access in kernel.
- info on why the kernel does not have a stable in-kernel api or abi.
- rules and procedures for the -stable kernel releases.
- info on how static keys allow debug code in hotpaths via patching
- short guide on selecting video modes at boot via VGA BIOS.
- How not to use sysfs.
- directory with info on the /proc/sys/* files.
- info on the magic SysRq key.
- directory with info on generating TCM v4 fabric .ko modules
- directory with information on managing thermal issues (CPU/temp)
- directory with info on tracing technologies within linux
- info on how to avoid arch breaking unaligned memory access in code.
- info on the Unicode character/font mapping used in Linux.
- description of the Linux unshare system call.
- directory with info regarding the Universal Serial Bus.
- directory with info regarding virtual dynamic shared objects
- info on Virtual Function I/O used in guest/hypervisor instances.
- info on enable/disable the legacy decoding on different VGA devices
- sysfs class driver interface to enable/disable a video output device.
- directory with info regarding video/TV/radio cards and linux.
- directory with information on the various linux virtualizations.
- directory with info on the Linux vm code.
- file relating info on the VME bus API in linux
- Why the "volatile" type class should not be used
- directory with documents regarding the 1-wire (w1) subsystem.
- how to auto-reboot Linux if it has "fallen and can't get up". ;-)
- directory with info about Intel Wireless Wimax Connections
- information on the Concurrency Managed Workqueue implementation
- directory with info on Linux support for AMD x86-64 (Hammer) machines.
- directory with documents relating to arch/xtensa port/implementation
- how to make use of the XZ data compression within linux kernel
- directory with Chinese translations of various documents
- info on writing drivers for Zorro bus devices found on Amigas.